- 1 1/2 pounds small whole sweet tomatoes such as cherry or grape
- 1 large red onion, sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper or several smaller sweet red peppers such as Marconi, sliced thin or halved if smaller
- 8 large garlic cloves
- 1 – 2″ sprig fresh rosemary, leaves only, stem discarded (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh, herbaceous-green 300+ poly EVOO such as Leccino IOO302, or IOO301 Frantoio
- 1/3 cup crisp, good quality white wine
- 1 tablespoon Traditional Balsamic Condimento
- 2 teaspoons sea salt or kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
Adjust rack to middle of oven, and preheat to 300.
In a medium roasting pan (9″x13″) or a 12″ oven safe skillet, combine the first five ingredients. Whisk the wine, balsamic, and olive oil together, drizzle over the vegetables and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Place the pan on the middle rack in the oven, uncovered, and allow the vegetables to cook slowly, stirring only a few times during the process, being careful not to break the tomatoes. Slow roast for 4 – 4 1/2 hours.
The resulting confit, or tomato “jam” can be used to dress pasta, slather on crusty bread, or as an accompaniment to slow roasted meats or poultry.